Weather on the Tongariro Alpine Crossing
We take our role of keeping you safe very seriously. This means at times based on our over 20 years experience of working in this environment and reading the weather, we sometimes have to cancel. This can happen the day before or it can even happen in the morning of the trip. Sometimes we go on hold till another forecast comes out to ensure we get it right.
That said, the weather can change and it can still turn on you while you are up there and you need to be prepared and know what to do. On the map we give you there is a turn around location. At this point if the weather is no good you would need to call us and let us know that you have turned around. We then pick you up from the start of the track again. This is rare as we would cancel if we think this is a possibility but you need to know it could happen.
We send out a daily update and post it on here for everyone to be able to see and make an informed decision on whether the weather is good enough to set out. If we cancel there is a very good reason. Please do not attempt to go anyway. This is when people get into problems on the mountain. Keep safe.